Recipe by JamesDean'sGirl
This is so versatile and a delicious way to take advantage of ripe summer vegetables. Serve as a side to grilled chicken or steak, or as a meal in itself over mixed greens and a handful of cavatelli...yum! *Recipe from Ladies Home Journal*
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces medium white button mushrooms
- 4 metal skewers
- 3 large bell peppers, halved lenghtwise and seeded (yellow and orange look beautiful)
- 1 large red onion, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch thick slices
- 1 lb medium zucchini, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato, drained and chopped (packed in oil)
- 5 ounces bocconcini, each cut in half (mozzarella cheese)
- 8 tablespoons cilantro or 8 tablespoons basil pesto
- 3 cups baby arugula
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together vinegar and 2 tablespoons oil in a bowl; season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Preheat grill and lightly oil rack.
- Thread mushrooms through stem end onto skewers. Lightly brush mushrooms, onion, and zucchini with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Grill vegetables, turning occasionally, until peppers are crisp-tender and remaining vegetables are just tender and golden brown, about 5 minutes for peppers and onion, 6 minutes for zucchini, and 8 minutes for the mushrooms.
- Transfer peppers to a plate and remaining vegetables to a cutting board.
- When cool enough to handle, remove mushrooms from skewers and quarter; transfer to a medium bowl.
- Cut onion and zucchini into bite-sized pieces. Transfer 3/4 of the onion (reserving remaining onion) and all of the zucchini to the bowl of mushrooms.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella, and 2 tablespoons pesto to bowl; season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into pepper halves and grill, covered, until the cheese begins to melt, about 3 minutes. Transfer to serving plates and arrange arugula alongside the stuffed peppers.
- Drizzle arugula with remaining dressing and top with reserved onions.
- Serve peppers warm with remaining pesto on the side.