1/1 Photo of Grilled Strip Steaks and Potatoes With Blue Cheese Butter
Galley Wench's Note:
Another recipe from my favorite cooking magazine, Cook's Illustrated. Perfect for a Father's Day BBQ.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 907.18 g medium red potatoes, scrubbed and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- ground black pepper
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter, softened (1/2 stick)
- 44.37 ml crumbled blue cheese
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 4.92 ml chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 small garlic clove, pressed through a garlic press (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 4 (1360.77-1814.36 g) beef strip steaks, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1Combine potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/2 quarts cold water in large pot and bring to boil over high heat.
- 2Reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are barely tender, about 6 minutes.
- 3Drain potatoes in colander, being careful not to break them.
- 4Transfer potatoes to rimmed baking sheet coated with 1 tablespoon of oil.
- 5Drizzle remaining tablespoon oil over potatoes and season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- 6Light grill and heat until grate is hot, about 5 minutes.
- 7Generously sprinkle both sides of steaks with salt and pepper.
- 8Cook, uncovered, over hottest part of grill until well browned on one side, about 3 minutes.
- 9Turn steaks; grill until well browned on second side, 3 minutes.
- 10Once browned, move steaks to cooler part of grill.
- 11Continue grilling, uncovered, to desired doneness, 7 to 8 minutes more for rare (120 degrees on instant-read thermometer), 9 to 10 minutes for medium-rare on rare side (125 degrees), 11 to 12 minutes for medium-rare on medium side (130 degrees), or 12 to 13 minutes for medium (135 to 140 degrees). Remove steaks from grill and let rest for 5 minutes.
- 12Once steaks are moved to cooler part of grill, place potatoes on hotter part.
- 13Cook, turning once, until grill marks appear and potato slices are cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 14While meat and potatoes are cooking on the grill, prepare sauce by beating butter with large fork in medium bowl until light and fluffy.
- 15Add cheese, shallot, parsley, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- 16To serve, place one steak and some of potatoes. Top each steak with 2 tablespoons butter mixture and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Strip Steaks and Potatoes With Blue Cheese Butter
Serving Size: 1 (598 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1202.1
- Calories from Fat 768
- Total Fat 85.3 g
- Saturated Fat 35.0 g
- Cholesterol 266.6 mg
- Sodium 284.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 67.7 g