Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
From an old issue of Food & Wine magazine, a tasty marinated steak with a classic South American sauce with a slight twist - bacon! It has been pointed out that this is still a tasty recipe if you want to leave out the added flavours (& fat) of the bacon - thank you PanNan! NOTE - prep time does not include minimum 4 hour marinating time
- 8 garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs, coarsely chopped
- 2 rosemary sprigs, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine (recommend a Chilean Cabernet )
- 1 medium red onion, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 beef strip steaks
- salt & pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, quartered (remove middle germ)
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, packed
- 1⁄2 cup oregano leaves, packed
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- Marinate the steak: In a large, shallow dish (or large ziplock bag), combine the garlic, thyme, rosemary, wine, onion and olive oil. Ad the steaks and turn to coat thoroughly with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Chimichurri Sauce:.
- In a food processor, pulse the garlic, parsley, oregano, vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil until the herbs are pureed. Scrape into a bowl and season with salt & pepper.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon in 2 batches over moderate heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels, and let cool, the finely chop. Pour excess bacon fat out of skillet keeping 2 Tbsp in it.
- LIght a grill. Remove steaks from marinade and season with salt & pepper. Grill the steaks over high heat until charred all over, about 7 - 8 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and sit at rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the bacon fat in the skillet. Add the chimichurri and bring to a simmer over high heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the bacon. Pour the sauce into a serving bowl.
- Carve the steaks crosswise into thick slices and serve immediately with the chimichurri.
- Serve with a Chilean Cabernet which echoes the herbal marinade for these flavourful steaks.
Very flavorful. Just a tad too fatty with the bacon, but I loved the fresh flavors. I used herbs grown in my garden.
I did like another reviewed did, I did half the sauce. I loved the taste of bacon in this sauce. The marinade with the red wine was amazing. I loved everything about this recipe. I just used a bit less of olive oil for the sauce. Thanks BeautifulBC. Made for the Babes of ZWT4
We really enjoyed these steaks for dinner. I only made half of the chimichurri sauce and that was plenty to go around. I used the bacon but with the fresh herbs in the sauce, it may have gotten overshadowed some. Can that happen to bacon?! Made a nice presentation. Loved how easy it was to prepare. Thanks for sharing. Made for my Babes for ZWT4.