Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Recipe by Wolfgang Puck, "Wolfgang Puck's Home Cooking" originally appeared in August, 2007 EatingWell Magazine. These steaks make a better match for a fruity red a Zinfandel than a more structured Cabernet.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for rubbing
- 4 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄3 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 (1/2 lb) beef strip steaks (1/2 lb each)
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Light a grill.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the 1/4 cup of oil.
- Add the shallots, garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper and cilantro and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes.
- Add the hoisin, soy sauce and chicken stock, raise the heat to moderately high and boil until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the honey.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter until blended; keep warm.
- Generously rub the steaks and onions with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the steaks over high heat for 4 minutes per side, or until nicely browned and medium-rare.
- Transfer the steaks to a carving board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Grill the onions for 4 minutes per side, or until charred.
- Transfer the onions to a platter.
- Thickly slice the steaks and arrange on the platter.
- Serve with the steak sauce, baked potatoes with choice of toppings and haricots verts.