Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Recipe is from Fine Cooking.
Make and share this Grilled Steak Tacos With Spicy Slaw recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 lbs flank steaks
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1 -2 medium jalapeno, stemmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, more as needed
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- lime wedge, for serving
- Prepare a medium (375°F) gas or charcoal grill fire.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the ancho powder with 1 teaspoons of the sugar, 2 teaspoons salt, and 3/4 teaspoons pepper. Pat the steak dry, sprinkle the ancho mixture on both sides, and let sit at room temperature while the grill heats.
- Set the onion rounds and jalapenos on a large plate and sprinkle with 1 Tbs. of the oil, 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoons pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage with the lime juice, the remaining 1 teaspoons sugar, and 1/2 teaspoons salt. Add the remaining 1 Tbs. oil and toss again.
- Put the steak, onions, and jalapenos on the grill. Grill the steak, flipping once, until cooked to your liking, 5 to 6 minutes for medium rare (130°F to 135°F). Grill the vegetables, flipping once, until grill marks appear and they’re just tender, 4 to 6 minutes for the jalapenos and about 8 minutes for the onion. (Move the onions to a cooler part of the grill or lower the heat if they start to burn.) Transfer the steak and vegetables to a cutting board; let the steak rest for 5 minutes.
- Chop the onions and finely chop the jalapenos, add to the cabbage mixture, and toss well. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and lime juice.
- Spread 4 tortillas on the grill and heat, flipping once, until warm and softened, about 1 minute. Stack the warmed tortillas in a kitchen towel; repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Thinly slice the steak and put a few slices on each of the warm tortillas. Top with the slaw and a dollop of sour cream. Serve with the lime wedges.