Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Recipe from Cooking Channel - Kelsey Nixon. Haven't tried it, but it sounds so delicious! A great Tex-Mex recipe with a Cilantro Chimichurri twist. Prep time does not include marinating time for meat.
For the Chimichurri
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro (leaves only)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- fresh lime juice (juice from 1 1/2 limes)
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes
For the Chipotle Cream
- 113.39 g sour cream
- 1 large chipotle chile in adobo (finely diced, plus 1 tbsp. adobo sauce)
For the Tacos
- 6 small flour tortillas, warmed (fajita-size)
- 453.59 g skirt steak (or flank steak)
- 7 garlic cloves, divided
- 4.92 ml Dijon mustard
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 78.07 ml red wine vinegar
- 29.58 ml red wine vinegar
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- For the Chimichurri: While the steak rests, place the cilantro leaves, onion, 4 cloves garlic, juice of 1 lime, and 1/3 cup vinegar to a blender and puree until combined. With the blender on low speed, drizzle in the 1/4 cup olive oil in a low stream. Remove the sauce from the blender and stir in the red pepper flakes and salt to taste.
- For the Chipotle Cream: Combine the sour cream, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, juice of 1/2 lime, and a pinch of salt.
- Place the steak, 3 cloves garlic, 2 tablespoons each olive oil and red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, and dijon mustard in a resealable bag. Rub the ingredients into the meat and place in the refrigerator to marinate 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, remove the meat from the bag and pat dry to remove any excess moisture. Lightly season both sides with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Spray an indoor, stovetop grill with nonstick cooking spray and preheat on medium-high heat. Place the steak on the preheated grill and grill about 6 minutes per side for medium rare. After grilling the steak, cover with tented foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes before thinly slicing across the grain.
A really delicious and flavourful meal. The meat was well-seasoned and tenderized by the vinegars. The assembled tacos delicious with the addition of the Chipotel Cream and Chimichurri - both adding great flavour. Like Vicky, I added some thin avocado slices to the tacos for an extra burst of freshness.
Awesome! Added one chipotle pepper to marinade. Chimmichurri was tangy and fresh. Sour cream sauce was creamy and zippy. Added sliced avocado to taco. Excellent combo.