Recipe by DailyInspiration
Recipe from Cooking Channel - Kelsey Nixon. Haven't tried it, but it sounds so delicious! A great Tex-Mex recipe with a Cilantro Chimichurri twist. Prep time does not include marinating time for meat.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
A really delicious and flavourful meal. The meat was well-seasoned and tenderized by the vinegars. The assembled tacos delicious with the addition of the Chipotel Cream and Chimichurri - both adding great flavour. Like Vicky, I added some thin avocado slices to the tacos for an extra burst of freshness.
For the Chimichurri
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro (leaves only)
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion
- fresh lime juice (juice from 1 1/2 limes)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
For the Chipotle Cream
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 1 large chipotle chile in adobo (finely diced, plus 1 tbsp. adobo sauce)
For the Tacos
- 6 small flour tortillas, warmed (fajita-size)
- 1 lb skirt steak (or flank steak)
- 7 garlic cloves, divided
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Chimichurri: While the steak rests, place the cilantro leaves, onion, 4 cloves garlic, juice of 1 lime, and 1/3 cup vinegar to a blender and puree until combined. With the blender on low speed, drizzle in the 1/4 cup olive oil in a low stream. Remove the sauce from the blender and stir in the red pepper flakes and salt to taste.
- For the Chipotle Cream: Combine the sour cream, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, juice of 1/2 lime, and a pinch of salt.
- Place the steak, 3 cloves garlic, 2 tablespoons each olive oil and red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, and dijon mustard in a resealable bag. Rub the ingredients into the meat and place in the refrigerator to marinate 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, remove the meat from the bag and pat dry to remove any excess moisture. Lightly season both sides with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Spray an indoor, stovetop grill with nonstick cooking spray and preheat on medium-high heat. Place the steak on the preheated grill and grill about 6 minutes per side for medium rare. After grilling the steak, cover with tented foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes before thinly slicing across the grain.