Recipe by Manami
Some of my friends got together and decided to cook me a special meal before the end of tax season. So they would check out my mail, for my magazines and then they would replace them a day or two later and I was none the wiser. The dietician, Allison, was the chief conspirator and they were able to pull it off! She loves Mexican food and has been teaching me all about it. They made me these at about 2:30 yesterday afternoon and were they delicious. :) We had a ball! There were just a few of us and then about 5pm I went back to work! They then gave me a copy and asked me to check here on zaar and if it wasn't would I post it & voilá!! The recipe is From: Hotel Cooking Schools in F&W Magazine, May 2009 edition.Chef Gonzalo Martinez grills the chorizo, the cheese and even the chiles in the salsa (and it does make a difference!). His Chef tip is to thinly slice the flank steak across the grain to keep it tender.(Yummy) ;)
- 3 jalapenos
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, half cut into 1/2-inch dice half sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb tomatillo, husked and chopped
- 1 Hass avocado, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes (a pinch or two) (optional)
- 2 links of fresh chorizo sausage
- 1⁄2 lb panela cheese or 1⁄2 lb halloumi cheese, cut into squares
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- warm flour tortilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a grill pan.
- Grill the jalapeos until charred.
- Stem and seed the jalapenos; finely dice 2 of them.
- Thinly slice the remaining jalapeno and reserve on a platter.
- In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the diced jalapenos and onion and the garlic and cook over moderate heat until golden, 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatillos and cook until softened.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Stir in the avocado, cilantro and lime juice; season with salt, black pepper & crushed red pepper flakes (if using).
- Oil the chorizo and grill over moderate heat until cooked through.
- Remove the chorizo casing and crumble the meat into a bowl.
- Lightly oil the cheese and grill for 1 minute per side, then oil the pan and grill the sliced onion until charred; transfer both to the platter.
- Oil the steak; season with salt and pepper.
- Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, 8 minutes for medium-rare.
- Transfer to a board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice the steak and serve with the accompaniments.
- Serve with warm flour tortillas.