Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
this tasty grilled steak sandwich can be made during bbqs or using a home griller or toaster oven. left over bbq steaks can also be used while just topping it with the grilled mushrooms and caramelized onions.
- 4 sandwich steaks (thin slices)
- olive oil, as needed
- steak seasoning, as needed
- 3⁄4 cup mushroom, champignon
- 8 slices rye bread
- French fries (optional) or chips (optional)
for the caramelized onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced into thin rings
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- for the onions, heat oil, add onions and cook for 15 mins or until soft.
- add water, brown sugar, vinegar and simmer until water has nearly evaporated adding the butter last,turning off the heat and stirring it.
- for the steak, brush both sides with oil and add a bit of steak seasoning, grilling it for 2-3 mins on each side.
- grill the mushrooms too for 2 minutes and cut into slices.
- then, toast the bread adding the grilled steak and top with caramelized onions and mushrooms.
- repeat with others and serve with french fries or chips.
- best served warm.
Wow! The caramelized onions and mushrooms were AMAZING! I added a little red wine to the sauce as well. We ate it over grilled steaks instead of as a sandwich, but I can see myself using this recipe for a lot of different things! Thanks!
I used sandwich rolls toasted with some garlic butter. We used our skillet to saute up the steaks and mushroom. Excellent sandwich....thanks for sharing!
Yummy sandwich! I used some leftover steak and a sandwich roll because I didn't have any rye. This was simple to put together and tasted great. Thanks Pneuma. Made for I Recommend Tag.