Recipe by CaliforniaJan
Add grilled steak to a bed of watercress and vegetables and toss with a tangy homemade dressing for a hearty main-dish salad. (This recipe is great with leftover beef.) From the July, 2003 Cooking Light Magazine.
- 1 lb beef tenderloin, trimmed
- cooking spray
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 lb cut green beans
- 4 cups trimmed watercress (about 1 bunch)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 3⁄4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 (8 ounce) packagepre-sliced mushrooms
- 1 (7 3/4 ounce) can hearts of palm, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare grill.
- To prepare salad, place the beef on grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill 7 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut the steak diagonally across grain into thin slices. Place beef in a large bowl.
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan; add beans. Cover and cook 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse with cold water; drain well. Add beans, watercress, tomatoes, onion, mushrooms, and hearts of palm to beef, and toss gently to combine.
- To prepare dressing, combine red wine vinegar and remaining ingredients, stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat.