Recipe by ElleFirebrand
I made up this yummy salad by combining a few I found here on 'Zaar with my every day salad. This is a satisfying and healthy main dish salad. Very tasty with grilled baguette. Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you; it goes together in a flash.
Top Review by Crafty Lady 13
Very good and elegant looking salad. I made this salad to share with my MIL and FIL and everyone loved it. My FIL said the dish looked like something you would get at a 5-star restaurant. I couldn't find a head of red leaf lettuce so I bought a package of organic salad mix that contained some red leaf lettuce. The dressing was the perfect compliment to this salad. Made for Best of 2010 Cookbooks Game.
- 3⁄4 lb flank steak
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1⁄2 head red leaf lettuce
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, toasted
- 20 grape tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 dash cinnamon (optional)
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- First, make a rub for the steak, using the oregano, ground cinnamon, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix in a small amount of oil so it adheres to flank steak. Grill flank steak 5 minutes per side for rare. Cook pepper approximately 10 minutes, turning to cook evenly. Remove from grill and allow pepper and steak to sit for 5 minutes before slicing. Cut steak and pepper into strips.
- While steak is cooking, prepare salad by mixing lettuce, pecans, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese, mint and basil.
- For vinaigrette, whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper to taste, and a dash of cinnamon (if desired).
- To assemble salad, arrange lettuce mixture in large bowl or on individual serving platters. Top each with equal amounts of pepper and flank steak. Drizzle with vinaigrette.