Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I made up this yummy salad by combining a few I found here on 'Zaar with my every day salad. This is a satisfying and healthy main dish salad. Very tasty with grilled baguette. Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you; it goes together in a flash.
- 3⁄4 lb flank steak
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1⁄2 head red leaf lettuce
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, toasted
- 20 grape tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 dash cinnamon (optional)
- salt & pepper
- First, make a rub for the steak, using the oregano, ground cinnamon, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix in a small amount of oil so it adheres to flank steak. Grill flank steak 5 minutes per side for rare. Cook pepper approximately 10 minutes, turning to cook evenly. Remove from grill and allow pepper and steak to sit for 5 minutes before slicing. Cut steak and pepper into strips.
- While steak is cooking, prepare salad by mixing lettuce, pecans, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese, mint and basil.
- For vinaigrette, whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper to taste, and a dash of cinnamon (if desired).
- To assemble salad, arrange lettuce mixture in large bowl or on individual serving platters. Top each with equal amounts of pepper and flank steak. Drizzle with vinaigrette.
Very good and elegant looking salad. I made this salad to share with my MIL and FIL and everyone loved it. My FIL said the dish looked like something you would get at a 5-star restaurant. I couldn't find a head of red leaf lettuce so I bought a package of organic salad mix that contained some red leaf lettuce. The dressing was the perfect compliment to this salad. Made for Best of 2010 Cookbooks Game.
I made this for Spring PAC 2010 and it was delicious! I loved the mix of flavors and the crunchiness and taste of the toasted nuts. This salad rivals any of the grilled salads that I have had in restaurants. Thanks for another good recipe that I will make again soon!