1 hr 20 mins
Hope's in the kitchen's Note:
This interesting combination of sophisticated flavors makes an excellent sandwich. What I love is the tomatoes can be roasted ahead, chilled, and brought back to room temp, making this a excellent take-your-lunch-to-work option. -- modified from Gourmet magazine, August 2007.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 medium tomatoes, halved crosswise
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced into rings
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3/4 lbs steaks, boneless (3/4-inch thick, approximately 3 total)
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mint
- 1 bunch watercress, tough stems discarded
- 1Preheat oven to 500°F with rack in middle.
- 2Toss tomatoes with shallots, garlic, oil and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in a shallow 3 quart baking dish, then arrange tomatoes cut sides up. Roast uncovered, basting once, until tomatoes are tender but still hold their shape and are starting to brown, 35 to 45 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- 3Whole tomatoes cool, prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over hot charcoal (medium high heat for gas).
- 4Sprinkle each steak all over with 1/4 t salt and 1/4 t pepper (total per steak). Oil grill rack, then grill steaks, coved only if using gas grill, turning once (5-6 min total for medium rare.
- 5Transfer to a cutting board. Lightly brush both sides of bread slices with some oil from roasted tomatoes and grill, turning over once until lightly toasted and grill marks form (about 1 min total).
- 6Stir together vinegar & sugar until sugar dissolves, then stir in herbs. Spread one side of each bread slice with some herb mixture (about 1 T per slice).
- 7Slice steaks, then make into sandwiches with bread, roasted tomatoes, shallots, and watercress.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Steak & Roasted Tomato Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (582 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1290.0
- Calories from Fat 727
- Total Fat 80.8 g
- Saturated Fat 24.0 g
- Cholesterol 134.9 mg
- Sodium 1805.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 59.1 g