Recipe by Manami
These would be great to make on a picnic or to serve for a nice lunch at home. They can be made smaller and can be served as an appetizer. When we made these we made them without the basil and substituted parsley and/or cilantro, basil is not very well liked around this neck of the woods. Found it on mealsforyou.com.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless beef top sirloin steaks, well trimmed, cut 1-inch thick
- 4 French rolls, 6-inch and crusty
- 1⁄3 cup Italian dressing (I used Paul Newman's)
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (2/3 ounce) packetgood seasons Italian salad dressing mix
- 2 cups spinach leaves, thinly sliced, tightly packed
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced, tightly packed
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly brush cut sides of rolls with dressing.
- Place rolls, cut sides down, on grid over medium-ash covered coals(or use on grill pan on top of stove); grill uncovered 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Turn rolls and sprinkle with cheese. Grill 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese just begins to melt.
- Press dressing mix into both sides of steak; place on grid and grill uncovered 16-20 for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally. Cook longer for desired doneness.
- Combine spinach, tomato and basil; toss.
- Place equal amount on each roll half.
- Carve steak crosswise(against the grain) into thin slices; arrange over spinach mixture.
- Enjoy with a Zinfandel, Beaujolais or a nice Chianti.