Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Entertain outdoors this summer. This is a great recipe for doing just that.
- 4 rib eye steaks, 3/4-inch thick
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 tablespoons peppercorns, coarsely cracked
CREAMY COGNAC SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons cognac or 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1⁄3 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef gravy, canned or homemade
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Steak: Prepare a hot fire. Rub steaks lightly with oil & season with salt. Spread crushed pepper on wax paper & press both sides of each steak into peppercorns to coat.
- Cook steaks on an oiled grill set 4 to 6 inches from coals, turning once or twice, until nicely browned outside yet still pink & juicy inside; about 6 to 8 minutes for rare. Serve with Creamy Cognac Sauce.
- Sauce: In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallots & cook just until softened but not browned, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add cognac & standing back, ignite with a long-handled match. When flames subside, add wine & bring to a boil. Continue cooking until liquid reduces by half, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Whisk in cream & gravy & bring to a boil. Cook until sauce is just thick enough to boat the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. Season with salt & pepper. Serve with steak.