Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you love steak and blue cheese, you'll think this is devine! Any salad mix, including baby spinach, can be used in place of the arugula.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- table salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 large red onion, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 (12 ounce) boneless strip steaks or 2 (12 ounce) rib eye steaks, each 12 ounces and 1 1/2 inches thick
- 11 cups lightly packed stemmed arugula
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- Whisk vinegar, garlic, and 3 tablespoons oil together in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Brush onion with remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- Season onion and steaks with salt and pepper.
- Grill over hot fire until steaks are well browned on both sides and internal temperature registers 125 degrees, 5 to 7 minutes per side, and onions are charred and soft, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer to cutting board and let steaks rest 5 minutes. Slice steaks thinly across grain.
- Toss arugula with 1/4 cup dressing in large bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide arugula among 4 individual plates or place on one large platter. Arrange steak and onions on top. Drizzle remaining dressing over steak and onions and scatter cheese and walnuts on top. Serve.
this is a classic! i look forward to leftover steak when i "accidentally" cook too much, just so i can make this. if i have any, i add a very ripe slice pear. yum. we have this with some crusty bread and call it dinner.