Recipe by Pneuma
Pete Goffe-Wood's variation on Graeme Shapiro's recipe. Haven't tried yet but posted for WZT.
Top Review by Maito
This is a good entree salad. I subbed scallops for the squid, and used half the amount because of their richness. I also halved the pesto since it seemed like a lot. I think a quarter of the pesto would still have been plenty. There are some interesting flavors in this.
- 3 tomatoes
- 900 g squid
- 100 g rocket
for the pesto (use 1 cup)
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds
- 3 green chilies
- 15 g lemon zest
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons black mustard seeds, roasted
- 3 tablespoons coriander seeds, roasted
- 80 ml lemon juice
- 200 ml pumpkin seed oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Blanche, skin and seed the tomatoes. Cut the remaining tomato flesh into a neat dice.
- Season the squid with salt and pepper and grill on a hot griddle plate or sauté in a fiercely hot wok. Remove the squid from the heat and place in a large bowl.
- Add one tablespoon of the pesto followed by the chopped tomato and mix together.
- Add the rocket just before serving, toss and plate, garnishing with the rest of the pesto.
- For the pesto: Put all the ingredients except the oil into a pestle and mortar and grind into a rough paste.You can use a food processor to make this quick. Thin the mixture out with the oil. Season the pesto with salt and pepper.