Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Grilled meats and seafood are very popular in Vietnam and many recipes, like this one, rely upon the specific flavors imparted from the open wood burning grill.
- 500 g cleaned squid
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup coriander leaves
- 7 tablespoons fish sauce, dip
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Rub the squid with salt and rinse.
- Slit and flatten the squid sac and make diagonal cuts on the inside surface.
- Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Set aside in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix all the ingreduents, EXCEPT THE FIRST FOUR INGREDIENTS, making the marinade. Mix for thirty seconds.
- Put the squid inside the bowl with the marinade and leave for 1 hour.
- When one hour is finished, grill the squid over a charcoal grill until just tender (about three minutes each side).
- Arrange on a serving platter and garnish with half-a-cup of coriander leaves.
- Serve with fish sauce dip.
I did it the stir fried way and the squid turned out really tender. It's definitely a unique way of cooking squid and I am pleasantly surprised. Perhaps the fact that I skipped the peanut oil and the fish sauce dip didnt quite bring out the authentic flavour this dish is supposed to have. Still this dish is bad at all. Thanks!
Delicious and fast to cook - this recipe was a hit with my partner and I. I will definitely make this again, it was so tasty!
This dish is full of flavour. You didn't specify the type of sugar so I used brown sugar. I didn't have coriander leaves so I cooked "Stir-fry Cabbage" as a side dish. I didn't charcoal grill this recipe as we have fire restrictions in our area during summer. So I placed the whole mixture in a non-stick pan and cooked them for about 4 mins. Delicious. Thank you EA.