Recipe by Abby Girl
I found this recipe because I always seem to have fresh rosemary on hand. It makes up in a snap and I have marinated the chicken up to 3 days in the fridge. To make things simple, use 4 chicken breast.
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) chicken
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat.
- Place chicken, breast side down, on a cutting surface. Cut chicken in half lengthwise along backbone, cutting to, but not through, other side.
- Turn chicken over. Starting at the neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Place chicken, breast side up, in a large shallow dish.
- Combine buttermilk and remaining ingredients; pour under skin and over surface of chicken. Cut a 1-inch slit in skin at the bottom of each breast half. Insert tip of each drumstick into each slit.
- Cover and marinate in refrigerator 24 hours.
- To prepare chicken for indirect grilling, preheat grill to medium-hot using both burners. After preheating, turn left burner off (leave right burner on).
- Place a disposable aluminum foil pan on briquettes on left side. Pour 2 cups water in pan. Coat grill rack with cooking spray; place on grill.
- Place chicken, skin side down, on grill rack covering left burner. Cover and grill 1 1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer registers 180°, turning halfway during cooking time.
- Discard skin before serving.