Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Although a croissant is not typically a bread used for grilled cheese, the amount of butter makes it a natural for the cheesy filling. Just be careful because the croissant burns easily so watch it!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 10 ounces spinach
- 2 ounces prosciutto, chopped (optional)
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 4 plain croissants, cut in half
- 6 ounces aged goat cheese, coarsely grated (I use gruyere)
- Melt the butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 7 minutes until they are limp but not brown.
- Add the spinach, cover, and cook for 2-3 minutes or until wilted. If there is a lot of liquid increase the heat to high and boil it away.
- Add the prosciutto if you are using it.
- Add the goat cheese and stir until cheese is melted and the prosiutto is heated through, about one minute.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the mixture to a dish and let it cool slightly.
- Wipe the skillet with a paper towel but do not wash it.
- To assemble:.
- Distribute the spinach mixture evenly over the 4 croissant bottoms, followed by the grated cheese and pepper to taste. Cover with the 4 croissant tops.
- Stovetop method:.
- Heat the same skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes. Put the sandwiches in the skillet, flat side down and press lightly with a spatula to compress the filling.
- Cover and cook for 3 minutes or until the undersides are golden brown.
- Uncover and turn the sandwiches over, pressing them slightly with a spatula to flatten them.
- Cover and cook for one minute more.