Recipe by hyejinx86
Onigiri is a Japanese food made from white rice formed into triangular or oval shapes and often wrapped in dried seaweed.
- 1 (5 ounce) can tuna
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1⁄2 jalapeno
- 1 sheet nori (dried seaweed)
- 4 1⁄2 ounces rice (uncooked Korean or Japanese rice)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 pinch salt
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon korean red pepper paste
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sake
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice with a rice cooker. You'll need sticky rice.
- When the rice is ready, add 1T of sesame oil and a pinch of salt to rice.
- Mince onion and jalapeno.
- Heat 1-2T canola oil in a frying pan.
- Stir fry the minced onion and jalapeno. When the onion turns clear, add tuna and the sauce. Mix them together and continue to stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Place half of the rice on your palm, press down to make it flat, just thick enough to hold the tuna. (like a burger patty).
- Place the spicy tuna in the middle of the rice.
- Cover it up with the rest of the rice.
- Shape the rice into triangle or circle. Put a rectangular piece of dried seaweed on the bottom of the rice.
- Heat 2T canola oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Place the rice and grill each side until they turn golden brown.