Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love this spicy grilled chicken cooked Padang style. This grilled chicken is available in Padang restaurant all over Indonesia. I tried to grill this when I was out of Indonesia just because I miss this food and I couldn't find any Indonesian restaurant nearby. Some of the ingredients might be hard to find if you are not in Indonesia, but you can always use powder spices or ignore it although the taste won't be as authentic as if you use all of them. Well, happy grilling!
- 1 whole chicken, cut in four to six parts
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 5 pieces fresh lime leaves
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 500 ml coconut milk
Puree the spices below
- 4 red chilies
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 pieces red onions
- 1⁄2 tablespoon coriander (or coriander powder)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cm ginger
- 2 cm galangal
- 3 cm turmeric
- Saute the puree ingredients with the cooking oil, along with cinnamon, clove, lime leaves and lemon grass leaves until fragrant and cooked about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken, saute with seasoning until half-cooked chicken ( About 8 minutes) . Add coconut milk, reduce heat, and cook until the mixture is thicken and almost dry.
- Turn off the heat and let it chill for a while.
- Preheat the grill to medium hot.
- Basting the chicken with the remaining saute mixture while grilling. Grill the chicken until done.