Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is really good - no leftovers, even carnivorous children went back for seconds. The marinade provides subtle heat while the teriyaki glaze is sweet & smoky. Serve with Asian Grilled Vegetables (search for the recipe) and steamed rice or udon noodles. I use Sriracha Sauce for the marinade - green top, rooster on the bottle - stuff is the best and HOT! I use Kikkoman "Takumi Collection Spicy Miso " Teriyaki sauce to baste. Really good....
- 2 lbs tofu, Extra Firm
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 gingerroot, piece 1-2-inch
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (vegetarians omit)
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 1⁄2 cup teriyaki sauce
- Place the Garlic Cloves and Ginger in the bowl of a small food processor or dice and place in a blender. Process until chopped fine and add the Cilantro. Process until chopped fine. Add the Sesame Oil, Soy Sauce, Fish Sauce (if desired) and the Sriracha Sauce (you can substitute another hot sauce or chopped hot peppers, red pepper flakes etc -- ).
- Cut Tofu cubes into slices and press out the water. Place tofu in marinade for 1 - 12 hours.
- Place tofu on a clean oiled grill over lower heat [ baste grilled surfaces with teriyaki sauce until browned. Serve with steamed rice or udon noodles and Asian Grilled Vegetables.
Do not mix the tofu dish with the vegetables, marinate, *then* try to stir fry. Marinating longer is a good idea.
My whole family liked it. Want to marinate it longer next time though.
This is one of the best tofu recipes I've made. I used Frank's Red Hot for the hot pepper sauce, and served it over brown rice. It was quick and easy to make, and the flavor was fabulous. I accidentally added the teriyaki sauce along with all the other marinade ingredients, but it worked fine that way too. I'll definitely be making this again.