Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
I can remember eating these on our ranch with Mom & Dad as a kid some forty years ago. They are high up on the list of my favorite summertime comfort foods.
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 8 slices Spam, - 1/4-inch thick (regular or low sodium)
- 8 slices cheddar cheese, - 1/8-inch thick
- 2 fresh large tomatoes, cut in 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 small sweet onion, cut in 1/8-inch thick slices
- deli style mustard
- Take two pieces of bread and spread on some spicy Deli mustard.
- On a piece of bread, make one layer each of sliced onion, SPAM, Cheddar Cheese, and Tomato.
- Lightly butter the remaining piece of bread and then carefully flip the entire sandwich upside down into a non-stick pan on medium-low heat. Lightly butter the other piece of bread which is now on top.
- Cook covered with a suitable lid over medium-low heat, flipping once after about six minutes, until bread is browned and cheese is melted.
- Sandwiches will be HOT when done so it's best to let them cool on a plate for 5 minutes or so to help avoid burning your tongue or roof of mouth. Grab a knife, some paper towels, a little catsup and ENJOY!