Stephanie in Pittsburgh's Note:
This recipe is by Jill Van Cleave from Cooking Pleasures magazine. This picnic-perfect salad is imbued with nice smoky flavor, achieved by grilling the potatoes. Chile peppers give it a slight kick, but the heat is tempered by the cool sour cream dressing. The is best served the day it is made. This will take longer than 36 minutes with heating the grill, especially if you have a charcoal grill like me, and cooling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb fingerling potato, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 4 green onions
- 1 large jalapeno chile
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1Heat grill. Cut each potato crosswise into 2 to 4 pieces, depending on size. In shallow pan, stir together 1 tablespoon of oil, 1/4 teaspon of cumin, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper. Add potatoes; toss to coat. Add green onions and chile; toss to coat.
- 2Place potatoes and chile on gas grill over medium-high heat or on charcoal grill 4 to 6 inches from medium-high coals; cover grill. Grill 8 to 12 minutes or until evenly browned and tender, turning every 4 to 5 minutes. Add green onions; grill, uncovered, 4 minutes or until browned and tender, turning once. Place grilled vegetables in same shallow pan.
- 3When cool enough to handle, halve potato pieces if desired. Peel chile; remove veins and seeds (or leave for extra spicy hot salad). Chop. Slice green onions. Place potatoes, chile and green onions in large bowl. Add vinegar and remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper. Toss until well mixed. Cool to room temperature.
- 4Add tomatoes to potoat mixture; toss. In small bowl, stir together sour cream, mustard and cilantro. Stir into potato mixture until thoroughly combined.
- 5Serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Southwest Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.4
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 6.3 mg
- Sodium 338.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 3.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar