Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Little bit savory, little bit sweet
- 4 ciabatta rolls (rolls should be soft) or 4 Italian rolls (rolls should be soft) or 4 French rolls (rolls should be soft)
- 6 ounces gorgonzola, thinly sliced (or coarsely crumbled)
- 8 ounces smoked turkey, thinly sliced
- 1 medium crisp apple, cored, unpeeled, and very thinly sliced
- 6 ounces taleggio or 6 ounces teleme cheese or 6 ounces monterey jack cheese, cut into slices
- olive oil, for brushing bread
- Slice each roll in half horizontally, leaving 1 side connected if possible.
- Open up the 4 rolls; on 1 side layer the gorgonzola, smoked turkey, and sliced apple.
- Top with Taleggio and close the sandwiches up tightly, pressing firmly to close.
- Brush the sandwiches, top and bottom, with olive oil; then heat a heavy nonstick skillet over med-high heat.
- Place the sandwiches in the hot pan and decrease heat at once to very low.
- Weight the sandwiches down on top (I use another heavy pan).
- Cook until they are golden brown and toasted, then turn over and lightly brown the second side; check every so often to make sure the bread is not burning.
- Both sides should be crisp and the cheese should be melted; serve immediately.