Recipe by Witch Doctor
Spicy marinades are well suited to hearty cuts of meat like skirt steaks. Take care not to marinate the steak too long, though, or the meat will be tough and stringy. The marinade is excellent with pork, lamb or chicken, too. Serve with fresh tortillas and refried beans
Top Review by steve in FL
These steak tacos are excellent! The marinade reminded me of Tacos al Pastor, and was so good on its own, that I could have eaten it as a soup, lol.. I grilled the meat over HOT coals for 2 minutes per side, as I usually do for 1lb flank steaks, and let them rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Perfectly cooked, and so tender and flavorful! But the star of the show was definitely the onion/cilantro relish! Sweet and tart, it perfectly complements the tacos! I served with choice of fresh corn tortillas or flour tortillas, both of which I warmed up quickly on the grill, tossing back and forth until pliable.. everyone loved them!
For the Marinade
- 4 dried anaheim chilies
- 4 dried arbol chili peppers
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lb trimmed skirt steak
For the Relish
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 1 fresh serrano chili pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- To Marinate:.
- Remove the stems from all the dried chilis, then shake out and discard the seeds. Place the chilis in a small saucepan with water just to cover. Bring to a boil, remove from the heat and let stand for 20 minutes to soften. Drain.
- In a small, dry frying pan over medium heat, toast the cumin seeds until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. In a blender, combine the softened chilis, cumin seeds, garlic, jalapeno chili and red wine vinegar. Puree until thick and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the olive oil and salt and blend again until well mixed.
- Place the skirt steak in a shallow non-aluminum dish and pour the marinade over it. Let marinade at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Prepare a fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a broiler.
- To prepare the Relish:.
- In a small bowl, stir together the onion, Serrano chili, cilantro, salt, lime juice and olive oil. Set aside until you are ready to serve.
- When the fir is hot or the broiler is ready, place the steak on the grill rack about 3 inches from the coals, or place in a broiler pan at the same distance from the heat source. Grill or broil, turning once, until seared on the outside but still pink in the center, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- To serve:.
- Slice the steak across the grain and on the diagonal. Arrange the slices on a platter and serve with the relish on the side.