Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
From today's NY Times.
- 1 tablespoon nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 small Thai chiles, stemmed and seeded or 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 medium shallots or 2 large shallots, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup washed dried and chopped mint or 1⁄2 cup Thai basil
- 1⁄2 cup washed dried and chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs skirt steaks
- 12 -16 leaves boston lettuce, washed and dried
- Start a charcoal or wood fire, or heat a gas grill. Fire should be moderately hot. Grill rack should be no more than 4 inches from heat source.
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a blender or food processor and purée; add herbs and pulse to chop finely, but not quite purée. Taste and adjust seasonings as you like.
- Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper and grill 4 minutes a side. Cut into 4 steaks, arrange over lettuce, and serve with sauce.
- •Or cut into strips, wrap each strip in a lettuce leaf, top with a bit of sauce and roll up.
Very tasty. I made a double batch of the sauce and used 1/2 to marinaded the meat in for 24 hours, then grilled the meat. I then served the remaing 1/2 on the side. Will definately make again.