Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe created by chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feninger (The Too Hot Tamales) for the California Avocado Commission.We found these sandwiches very exciting and delicious! Since we use the grill year-round, we don't have to wait until summer. This would be a great weekend brunch or a nice evening meal - serve with a salad of sliced tomatoes with onions, maybe some type of starch and some nice cold beer or wine - depends on the occasion. :)
- 2 skirt steaks (8 - 10 oz each)
- 1 medium yellow sweet onion, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 2 small tomatoes, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leave
- 4 pieces baguette, sliced in half lengthwise and lightly toasted (6-inch)
- 1⁄2 ripe fresh california avocado, thinly sliced for garnish
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs (to garnish)
- cracked black pepper
CALIFORNIA AVOCADO BLUE CHEESE SPREAD
- 2 large ripe fresh avocados
- 4 ounces Roquefort cheese, at room temp (or similar blue cheese)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 dashes hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- CALIFORNIA AVOCADO BLUE CHEESE SPREAD:.
- In a large bowl, combine avocados with blue cheese, lemon juice, hot sauce, and pepper.
- Mash with a fork until mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Taste and season lightly with salt (Note: careful here, blue cheese can be salty).
- STEAK SANDWICHES:.
- About 30 minutes before cooking, remove skirt steaks from refrigerator.
- Trim any outer pieces of fat or silver skin, but marbling within beef should remain.
- Preheat grill or sauté pan to very hot.
- Pat skirt steaks dry.
- Brush steaks and onion and tomato slices with canola oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Grill or sauté steaks, 2 minutes per side for rare & allow steak to rest several minutes on a cutting board.
- Meanwhile, on the grill or in the same sauté pan, char the onion slices until just tender, separating into rings.
- Grill or sauté the tomato slices briefly, until lightly charred and warmed through.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar and thyme.
- Add grilled onion and tomato slices to vinaigrette mixture and toss gently.
- Spread toasted top halves of baguettes with California Avocado Blue Cheese Spread.
- Place on the upper level of the grill with the top closed, or under a broiler, until warmed, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Arrange the charred onion and tomato slices on the bottom halves of the baguettes.
- Slice the steak thinly, at an angle across the grain, and place over the vegetables.
- Drizzle steak with any leftover balsamic vinaigrette.
- Serve sandwiches open-faced, side-by-side on a plate, with thin slices of avocado, thyme sprigs and cracked black pepper for garnish.
- *Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.