Recipe created by chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feninger (The Too Hot Tamales) for the California Avocado Commission.We found these sandwiches very exciting and delicious! Since we use the grill year-round, we don't have to wait until summer. This would be a great weekend brunch or a nice evening meal - serve with a salad of sliced tomatoes with onions, maybe some type of starch and some nice cold beer or wine - depends on the occasion. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 skirt steaks (8 - 10 oz each)
- 1 medium yellow sweet onion, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 2 small tomatoes, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leave
- 4 pieces baguette, sliced in half lengthwise and lightly toasted (6-inch)
- 1/2 ripe fresh california avocado, thinly sliced for garnish
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs (to garnish)
- cracked black pepper
CALIFORNIA AVOCADO BLUE CHEESE SPREAD
- 1CALIFORNIA AVOCADO BLUE CHEESE SPREAD:.
- 2In a large bowl, combine avocados with blue cheese, lemon juice, hot sauce, and pepper.
- 3Mash with a fork until mixture is thoroughly combined.
- 4Taste and season lightly with salt (Note: careful here, blue cheese can be salty).
- 5STEAK SANDWICHES:.
- 6About 30 minutes before cooking, remove skirt steaks from refrigerator.
- 7Trim any outer pieces of fat or silver skin, but marbling within beef should remain.
- 8Preheat grill or sauté pan to very hot.
- 9Pat skirt steaks dry.
- 10Brush steaks and onion and tomato slices with canola oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- 11Grill or sauté steaks, 2 minutes per side for rare & allow steak to rest several minutes on a cutting board.
- 12Meanwhile, on the grill or in the same sauté pan, char the onion slices until just tender, separating into rings.
- 13Grill or sauté the tomato slices briefly, until lightly charred and warmed through.
- 14In a small bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar and thyme.
- 15Add grilled onion and tomato slices to vinaigrette mixture and toss gently.
- 16Spread toasted top halves of baguettes with California Avocado Blue Cheese Spread.
- 17Place on the upper level of the grill with the top closed, or under a broiler, until warmed, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- 18Arrange the charred onion and tomato slices on the bottom halves of the baguettes.
- 19Slice the steak thinly, at an angle across the grain, and place over the vegetables.
- 20Drizzle steak with any leftover balsamic vinaigrette.
- 21Serve sandwiches open-faced, side-by-side on a plate, with thin slices of avocado, thyme sprigs and cracked black pepper for garnish.
- 22*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Skirt Steak Sandwich W/Avocado & Blue Cheese Spread
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 859.5
- Calories from Fat 500
- Total Fat 55.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 84.8 mg
- Sodium 995.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.5 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 42.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme leaves
fresh thyme sprigs