Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Bon Appetit Magazine, September 2009 edition and it was tested by the Bon Appetit Test Kitchen. The say "this incredible sandwich is so filling that you won't need a side dish." Maybe a nice cold glass of wine, or beer or whatever suits your fancy. ;)
- 158.51 ml mayonnaise (I used Weight Watchers light)
- 22.18 ml red wine vinegar
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh oregano
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh basil
- 1 small garlic clove, pressed
- 0.25 ml crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 453.59 g loaf ciabatta, halved horizontally
- 2 ear corn, husked
- 2 small red bell peppers, quartered lengthwise
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/3-inch rounds
- 680.38 g skirt steaks, cut crosswise into 6-inch pieces
- olive oil (for brushing)
- Prepare barbecue (high heat).
- Whisk first 6 ingredients in medium bowl (starting with the mayo through the red pepper flakes) & set aside.
- Pull out some of inside of bread, forming thick shells.
- Brush corn, peppers, onion, cut sides of bread, and steaks with olive oil & sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill vegetables until charred and just tender and steaks until charred and cooked to medium-rare, about 15 minutes for corn, 8 to 10 minutes for peppers, and 5 to 8 minutes for onion, turning occasionally, and 3 minutes per side for steaks.
- Let steaks rest 5 minutes.
- Grill bread, cut side down, until charred, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cut corn from cobs; add 1 cup to bowl with mayonnaise mixture and stir to coat; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut steaks diagonally against the grain into 1/3- to 1/2-inch-thick strips.
- Arrange steak slices, peppers, and onion over bottom halves of bread.
- Spoon corn mayonnaise over.
- Top with bread, pressing slightly to compact. (If using ciabatta, cut into 6 sandwiches.)!