Recipe by MarraMamba
From CBS "Chef on a Shoestring", David Armstrong's recipe from "Small Bites". Prep includes 1 hour marinade
Top Review by DailyInspiration
We love lettuce wraps and this was a really nice treat! I only marinated the beef for 30 minutes and I did make some changes such as lowering the amount of soy sauce, vinegar and ginger. We really enjoyed the sauce as well. Thanks for the post! Made for 1-2-3 Tag, February, 2012.
- bamboo skewer
- 3 lbs skirt steaks, cleaned and trimmed of fat
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 4 limes, juice of
- 1 (6 ounce) can pineapple juice
- 1 small sliced onion
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh peeled gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1 bunch scallion
- 3 heads butter lettuce
- 4 sprigs Thai basil, plus additional
- Thai basil, for garnish
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro, plus additional
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Begin by soaking the skewers in water for 20 minutes to prevent them from igniting when placed on the grill.
- With a boning knife, trim any visible fat on the skirt steak. Then, cutting on a bias, slice against the grain in 3-inch strips and set aside in a plastic storage container.
- For the marinade, combine in a large bowl 3/4 cup of the soy sauce, the juice of 2 limes, the pineapple juice, and the sliced onion. Mix well, season with salt and pepper, and pour over the beef. Allow this to marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Remove the beef from the marinade, and skewer with the bamboo.
- For the dipping sauce, in a small bowl combine the remaining 1/4 cup soy sauce, the ginger, garlic, sugar, juice of the remaining 2 limes, the vinegar, and scallions. Check the seasoning, and transfer to a small serving bowl.
- Light the grill or preheat the oven to 375°F.
- To serve, grill or bake the skewers on a hot grill for about 1 minute on each side, and allow to cool. On a large platter, lay out the butter lettuce leaves, then on each leaf, place a few basil and cilantro leaves.
- Rest the skewers of beef on the leaves. Have each guest grab a leaf, remove the skewer, and enjoy with the dipping sauce.