1/2 Photos of Grilled Skirt Steak
From Sunset magazine. Preparation time does not include minimum of 5 hours marination time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1 -1 1/2 lb) skirt steaks, trimmed of membrane and excess fat
- 12 ounces beer
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons chipotle hot sauce, such as Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 large red onions, cut into 1/2-in .-thick slices
- 12 (8 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
- lime wedge
- 1Cut each steak in half crosswise.
- 2Put in a large resealable plastic bag.
- 3Stir together beer, orange juice, lime juice, hot sauce, and garlic, then pour over steaks.
- 4Seal bag and refrigerate at least 5 hours and up to overnight.
- 5Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for medium-high heat.
- 6Drain meat and discard marinade.
- 7Mix salt and cumin and rub into meat.
- 8Spray onions lightly with vegetable oil spray and set, with steaks, on a cleaned and oiled cooking grate. Don't cover.
- 9For medium-rare to medium doneness (cut to check), grill steaks 3 to 4 minutes per side if less than 1/2 inches thick; add 1 more minute per side if more than 1/2 inches thick. Turn steaks at least once while grilling (more if juice starts to pool on surface). Grill onions, turning once, until browned on both sides and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes total.
- 10After removing steaks from grill, let rest 5 minutes (so juices redistribute through the meat) before slicing.
- 11With a sharp knife at a slight diagonal, cut across grain into thin strips.
- 12Serve meat and onions with tortillas, lime wedges, and hot sauce.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Skirt Steak
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 730.1
- Calories from Fat 216
- Total Fat 24.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 89.1 mg
- Sodium 2703.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 51.1 g