Recipe by Mercy
A grilling recipe that can easily adapted for the stovetop or Foreman grill (still need to use a saucepan, though). This recipe was posted in the local newspaper. Cooking time is actually the minimum marinating time.
Top Review by ginaperkins
My 16 yr old daughter has taken up cooking and made this for us for dinner last night. It was GREAT! it was very easy for her to make, she did it on the stove top, and it couldn't have been easier. It has a nice rich suace, and the olives gave it just the right salty flavor. I'd reccomend this to anyone wanting an easy, but elegant meal. I'd serve it with rice or pasta. The sauce was excellent!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs well-trimmed boneless beef top sirloin steaks, cut 1 to 1 1/4 inches thick
- 1⁄4 cup red wine or 1⁄4 cup port wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup beef or 2⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup black pitted ripe olives or 1⁄2 cup stuffed manzanilla olives, drained and quartered
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme or 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place steak in a zip-top plastic bag or in a shallow casserole dish.
- Combine wine, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and garlic; spoon over steak.
- Close bag, turning to coat steak or turn steak over in dish.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Prepare charcoal or gas grill.
- Drain steak, reserving marinade.
- Sprinkle dried thyme, salt and pepper over steak.
- Grill on a covered grill over medium-hot coals 6 minutes.
- Turn; continue grilling 5 minutes for medium-rare doneness.
- Transfer steak to carving board; tent with foil and let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour; cook 1 minute or until bubbly, stirring frequently.
- Add broth; simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Add reserved marinade and olives; simmer 2 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper if desired.
- Carve steak into thin slices; arrange on serving plates.
- Spoon olive sauce over steak and top with thyme or parsley.