Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe came from our local grocery store (Festival Foods). This is such an easy recipe and feels super elegant! Served with Rosemary Parmesan Polenta.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 large shallots, finely diced
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups sweet marsala wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon beef base, powdered (such as Orrington Farms Beef Soup Base brand, bouillon cubes can be too salty)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, chopped (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 4 (8 ounce) sirloin steaks
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chives, minced (1/2 bunch for garnish)
- To prepare the sauce:.
- Preheat large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add olive oil, shallots and mushrooms. Saute until they become translucent.
- Increase heat to medium-high and deglaze the pan with the Marsala wine and beef stock.
- Add soup base and fresh thyme.
- Simmer about 15 minutes until sauce has reduced by two-thirds.
- To grill the steaks:.
- Preheat the grill to meduim-high heat.
- Pat steaks dry with paper towels. Rub 1/2 tsp of olive oil then sprinkle 1/2 tsp Montreal steak seasoning over each steak.
- Sear meat on both sides, and grill to medium-rare (128 degrees F internal temp; about 4 minutes per side).
- Transfer steaks from grill to serving platter, cover with foil, let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- To finish the sauce:.
- Whisk in 1/2 cup butter, 1 Tbsp at a time.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the sauce over grilled steaks and garnish with minced chives.
- Serve with Rosemary Parmesan Polenta.
This was really tasty. I paired it with linguine (which was not a good pairing) because we don't like polenta. The steak and mushrooms were glorious and next time I will pair them with baked potatoes and some sort of vegetable, maybe carrots. I made this for PAC Spring 2013.
Delicious sauce for grilled sirloin! We quite enjoyed this, but did not make the polenta suggested. I am planning on doing so next time!