Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy and Delicious! Spicy tomato jam is a popular Moroccan condiment that is wonderful with grilled shrimp. I like my jam with some texture, so I skip the puree part. Serve with couscous. Lemon-herb couscous or apricot couscous are great choices. This dish pairs perfectly with a full, aromatic white, such as a Viognier or Gewurztraminer. Also goes well with, Lageder Pinot Bianco, 2002 - a Northern Italian white wine. Jam simmers for an hour and the shrimp marinate for 30 minutes, so plan accordingly.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup dry fino sherry wine (optional)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 (35 ounce) canpeeled tomatoes, drained, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Melt butter in a saucepan over moderately high head. Add ginger and garlic and stir until fragrant. Add vinegar, optional sherry and cinnamon stick and stir until it resembles a glaze (one minute or so). Stir in tomatoes, sugar, cumin, cayenne and cloves. Reduce to low and simmer about 1 hour, until liquid has evaporated. Discard the cinnamon.
- Stir in honey, salt and black pepper. Use a food processor or blender and puree, if you you like. Let cool.
- Light a grill or preheat the broiler.
- Cover shrimp with 1/3 - 1/2 of the COOLED tomato jam and marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature. Set the remaining jam aside.
- Grill shrimp for about 2 minutes per side. They should be lightly charred on the outside and opaque throughout.
- Spoon extra jam over shrimp to taste.
Hi. Boy this is a great recipe. the jam is excellent. Its also good with chicken and shark steaks. thanks for posting. Be well...Nan
Gorgeous :) The jam is fantastic and would be a good marinade for pretty much anything. Will make this again.