Recipe by ellie_
Recipe source: local newspaper
Top Review by Muffin Goddess
Loved this! It was a nice change having the tomatillos in chunks rather than pureed. This smelled wonderful while it was cooking, too. I didn't have any green onions, so I added some Spanish onion slivers instead. Instead of salt, I sprinkled some Adobo seasoning on the shrimp, and I used dried Mexican oregano in place of the fresh oregano. I don't have an outdoor grill right now, so I cooked this in my ridged grill pan on the stovetop, which worked out just fine. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT5 Mexico
- 1⁄2 lb large shrimp, cleaned and peeled
- olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 3⁄4 lb tomatillo, cut into wedges
- 4 green onions
- 1 serrano chili
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a grill to medium high.
- In bowl toss shrimp with 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. While vegetables are cooking - let shrimp marinate.
- In another bowl combine tomatillo wedges with olive oil to coat and season with salt and pepper. Grill wedges until charred and crisp-tender (5 minutes, turning once). Place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Brush green onions and serrano chile with olive oil. Grill until tender and charred (2 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool - then slice onions crosswise into 2-inch pieces and add to the tomatillos. Toss and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill shrimp (4-5 minutes, turning). Remove from grill and toss in bowl with vegetables along with the cumin and oregano.
- Serve with grilled tortillas.