Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This has a little Asian flare to it. Sauce can be served on the plate with the shrimp on top or on the side for dipping with veggies.
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 -2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar or 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon oriental sesame oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Soak skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Combine water and cornstarch in small saucepan, mixing until cornstarch dissolves.
- Stirring constantly, bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook until thickened-about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in ginger and garlic.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In blender, combine cornstarch mixture and pecans, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes; blend until smooth puree.
- This may be done in a food processor, pulsing the mixture till it reaches your desired consistancy.
- Set aside while preparing shrimp.
- Prepare a hot charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill.
- Skewer shrimp or arrange on grill topper and cook over grill, turning occasionally, until the shrimp are pink and lightly browned.
- Serve shrimp over a puddle of sauce or serve sauce on the side for dipping.