Recipe by Chef Boy -R-Ed
Holiday recipes from New England's top restaurants (Icarus - Chef Chris Douglass)
- 20 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 large very ripe mango
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1 small red onion
- 4 sprigs Thai basil
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- To remove the flesh from the pit using a sharp knife with the fruit standing on end cut down from just off center, filleting the flesh off in one large half.
- Repeat on the other side. Remove the skin and cut the fruit into ¼ inch cubes, place in a bowl. There will be some remaining fruit left on the pit squeeze the juice out and catch it in the bowl.
- Finely dice the Jalapeños seeds and all, set aside. Add as much Jalepeño as needed to achieve the right amount of heat for you. Remember that as it sits and the flavors mingle the spiciness will become more pronounced.
- Juice the limes and add to mango.
- Season salsa with a little salt, pepper and if needed a pinch of sugar.
- Dice the red onion and soak in ice water for 10 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Wash and pick basil leaves, dry and set aside.
- Grill shrimp over moderately hot fire for a couple of minutes on each side until just done.
- As the shrimp is cooking mix the red onion and basil leaves into salsa.
- Spoon the salsa onto plates and arrange shrimp.