Shrimp are magnificent with the lime-and-cilantro flavors of Mexican food...a cold margarita will only reinforce that bond. Enjoy these at your next bar-b-q and you will be a hit! Dean and Deluca.
- In a blender or food processor place the cilantro leaves and stems, scallions, chilies, garlic, lime juice, cumin, and turmeric.
- Puree, adding a little water if necessary to achieve the desired consistency.
- Peel the shrimp, leaving the tail intact.
- Devein them, place them in a bowl, and toss with the cilantro puree.
- Marinate for 8-12 hours.
- Prepare a moderately hot charcoal fire.
- When ready to cook, scoop up the shrimp so that more of the marinade remains on one side of each one.
- Place the shrimp marinade-side up pon the grill.
- Cook until almost done, about 2 minutes.
- Turn shrimp over and cook quickly on marinade side, about 1 minute.
- Remove shrimp from grill.
- Divide shrimp among serving plates.
- Pass garnishes at table.
- Each guest should sprinkle the shrimp with coarse salt, pepper, chili powder, a squeeze of lime juice, and a few cilantro leaves.