Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Food & Wine.
- 8 large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb (halved lengthwise, cored and thinly sliced crosswise)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped unsalted pistachios
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped watermelon
- 1⁄2 tablespoon finely chopped basil, preferably purple
- Soak 8 bamboo skewers in warm water for 30 minutes; drain.
- Insert 2 bamboo skewers through 2 shrimp so the skewers form an X; repeat with the remaining shrimp. Rub the skewered shrimp with 1 teaspoon of the oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sliced fennel, pistachios, lemon juice, lemon zest and 2 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil. In a small dry skillet, toast the fennel seeds over moderately high heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the seeds to the fennel salad and season with salt, pepper and the sugar.
- Heat the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil in the small skillet. Add the shallot and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the tomato and watermelon. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in the chopped basil.
- Heat a grill pan. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and grill over high heat until opaque throughout, about 2 minutes per side. Spoon the fennel salad onto 4 plates.
- Set the shrimp skewers on the fennel, top with a spoonful of the salsa and serve at once.