Recipe by Epi Curious
Great for a summer barbeque or pot luck. The black bean salad is also great on its own, without the shrimp. From "True Grits" cookbook by the Atlanta Junior League. Note that cooking time does not include time to grill shrimp (about 6 minutes).
- 3 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 mangoes, peeled, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the black beans, salt and garlic in a bowl; mix well. Stir in the mangoes, red onion and red pepper.
- Whisk the cilantro, cumin, chili powder, olive oil and lime juice in a bowl. Stir into the black bean mixture.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Thread the shrimp on bamboo skewers.
- Grill over hot coals for 3 minutes on each side or until the shrimp turn pink.
- Spoon the black bean mixture onto a serving platter; top with the shrimp.