1 hr 30 mins
This was delicious and dh didn't even complain about the tofu -- not only that he loved it and had second and third helpings -- cooked this way and combined in this delish salad tofu takes on a different role in the salad. By the way as I was afraid that the shrimp would fall through the grill grates, I left the shrimp in a metal disposable pie dish and cooked it on the grill that way - the shrimp was delish and spicy! Recipe source: Martha Stewart Living
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (14 ounce) package firm tofu, quartered lengthwise (I used closer to 10 ounces)
- 1 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined (see note in description)
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (the original recipe called for 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger)
- 1 pineapple, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 carrots, julienned (the original recipe called for 3 carrots)
- 1/2 English cucumber, quartered lengthwise and then sliced 1/4 inch thick crosswise
- 1 jicama, peeled and julienned (I used 1/2 jicama, about 3/4 pound or so)
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint, sliced
For the dressing
- 1Place shrimp in a bowl or marinating dish. In a blender puree vinegar, honey, sambal oelek, garlic and ginger until smooth. Pour over shrimp, turn shrimp. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2On a rimmed baking sheet covered with paper towels place tofu slices between layers of paper towels, cover with second baking sheet weighted with cans. Let stand for 30 minutes. Pat tofu with paper towels until dry.
- 3Preheat grill to medium.
- 4Cut pineapple slices lengthwise along slides of core into 2 large pieces, then slice each slice lengthwise into thirds. Reserve remaining pineapple for another use.
- 5Grill pineapple, turning until brown (4-5 minutes per side).
- 6Brush tofu with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill tofu, turning once (2-5 minutes per side).
- 7Grill shrimp (see note in description), turning once until opaque (3-5 minutes per side).
- 8Cut pineapple crosswise into 1/4 inch thick pieces.
- 9Cut tofu into 1/2 inch cubes.
- 10In a large salad bowl combine salad ingredients (pineapple, tofu, shrimp, carrots, cucumber, jicama, and mint). Toss.
- 11To make salad dressing combine dressing ingredients in a jar and shake (or whisk) to combine.
- 12Add dressing to salad and toss until combined.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Shrimp, Tofu and Pineapple Salad
Serving Size: 1 (728 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.8
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 172.8 mg
- Sodium 778.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.0 g
- Sugars 32.8 g
- Protein 34.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar
rice wine vinegar