Recipe by Hey Jude
Tofu soaks up the flavors of the marinade and then grills up to be nicely browned on the outside and creamy inside. This recipe requires draining time of 1-2 hours and a 24 hour marinating time. From the Chicago Trib
- 2 (14 ounce) packages extra firm tofu
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons hot chili oil, to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds, preferably black
- 8 green onions, including green tops
- vegetable oil, for brushing
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain tofu; slice each block horizontally in half, arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet or tray lined with several thicknesses of paper toweling.
- Cover with more paper toweling and a second baking sheet or cutting board; top with a heavy weight (such as bricks or canned foods); let stand 1-2 hours to remove excess moisture.
- Combine soy sauce, wine, vinegar, sesame oil, olive oil, chili oil, garlic and salt to taste in a non-reactive bowl; mix well and set aside.
- Cut each piece of drained tofu into 4 rectangles; arrange in a shallow non-reactive container, pour marinade over tofu.
- Cover; refrigerate, turning occasionally, for at least 24 hours or up to 6 days.
- Return to room temperature before cooking.
- Prepare grill for moderate direct-heat cooking.
- Place 8 bamboo skewers in a shallow container and cover with water; set aside to soak, about 30 minutes.
- Place sesame seeds over medium heat in a small skillet; toast, shaking pan or stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 5 minutes, and pour onto a plate to cool.
- Remove tofu from marinade, reserving marinade.
- Cut each onion into 3 pieces of equal length; working with one onion at a time, beginning with root end, thread 3 onion pieces lengthwise onto soaked skewers, alternating them with 2 pieces of tofu; thread onion pieces in order to simulate look of a whole onion.
- Or, you can just skip the onions and thread tofu onto skewers.
- Lightly brush grill rack with oil.
- Place skewered tofu on rack; cook, turning frequently and brushing with marinade, until lightly browned on all sides, 12-15 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle tofu with toasted sesame seeds; arrange on warmed plates.