Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
Tofu soaks up the flavors of the marinade and then grills up to be nicely browned on the outside and creamy inside. This recipe requires draining time of 1-2 hours and a 24 hour marinating time. From the Chicago Trib
- 2 (14 ounce) packages extra firm tofu
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons hot chili oil, to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds, preferably black
- 8 green onions, including green tops
- vegetable oil, for brushing
- Drain tofu; slice each block horizontally in half, arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet or tray lined with several thicknesses of paper toweling.
- Cover with more paper toweling and a second baking sheet or cutting board; top with a heavy weight (such as bricks or canned foods); let stand 1-2 hours to remove excess moisture.
- Combine soy sauce, wine, vinegar, sesame oil, olive oil, chili oil, garlic and salt to taste in a non-reactive bowl; mix well and set aside.
- Cut each piece of drained tofu into 4 rectangles; arrange in a shallow non-reactive container, pour marinade over tofu.
- Cover; refrigerate, turning occasionally, for at least 24 hours or up to 6 days.
- Return to room temperature before cooking.
- Prepare grill for moderate direct-heat cooking.
- Place 8 bamboo skewers in a shallow container and cover with water; set aside to soak, about 30 minutes.
- Place sesame seeds over medium heat in a small skillet; toast, shaking pan or stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 5 minutes, and pour onto a plate to cool.
- Remove tofu from marinade, reserving marinade.
- Cut each onion into 3 pieces of equal length; working with one onion at a time, beginning with root end, thread 3 onion pieces lengthwise onto soaked skewers, alternating them with 2 pieces of tofu; thread onion pieces in order to simulate look of a whole onion.
- Or, you can just skip the onions and thread tofu onto skewers.
- Lightly brush grill rack with oil.
- Place skewered tofu on rack; cook, turning frequently and brushing with marinade, until lightly browned on all sides, 12-15 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle tofu with toasted sesame seeds; arrange on warmed plates.
I love the flavor in this dish! I marinated the tofu overnight and used sherry for the wine. I broiled it and it turned out great! Thanks for posting this!!!
Great recipe. I've been trying tofu as a main dish one day a week and this recipe will stay on my rotation. I didn't have any chili oil so I substituted red pepper flakes. I grilled them at 350 degress for 6 minutes on my George Foreman grill.
The marinade was incredible. I used the broiler, and the tofu turned out great. Somehow, threading the tofu on the skewers with green onions didn't work. Maybe I cut the tofu into the wrong shape. Since I don't have a grill, and will be using the broiler, I'll just soak the green onions in the marinade and tuck them onto the broiler, too.