Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) jar hoisin sauce
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons oriental sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 bunch watercress, trimmed
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 3⁄4 cup cilantro leaf
- 1⁄2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 12 large sea scallops
- Mix all sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix first 4 vegetable ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add watercress, cucumber, carrot, cilantro and onion; toss to blend.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Let stand for 30 minutes or chill up to 1 hour, tossing occasionally.
- Stir coriander seeds in small skillet over medium heat until fragrant and slightly darker, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer seeds to a plastic bag.
- Using mallet or hammer, coarsely crack seeds.
- Combine sesame oil and ginger in medium bowl; mix in coriander seeds and then scallops.
- Let stand at least 30 minutes or chill up to 1 hour.
- Prepare barbecue to medium-high heat.
- Thread 3 scallops onto each of 4 skewers.
- Brush barbecue rack with oil to prevent sticking.
- Grill scallops until just opaque in center, about 3 minutes per side.
- Divide vegetables among 2 plates.
- Top each with scallops and serve, passing Hoisin-Orange sauce separately.
Probably my favorite scallop dish, really delicious. I made 2/3 of the scallops and 1/3 of the sauce for 2 people. The salad stands on its own too, though I did halve the sesame oil, fish sauce and onion for our taste. Thanks, Ashley!