Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is originally from a May 1987 Bon Appetit in the "Cooking For Friends" section. Use the larger scallops for this recipe; bay scallops are too fragile to grill. The chive dill cream is also excellent over poached or grilled salmon.
- 6 bamboo skewers
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup minced shallot
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup well-chilled butter, cut into 8 pieces (1 stick)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lbs sea scallops
- melted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- fresh dill sprig
- Soak skewers in water to cover for 1 hour.
- Boil wine,stock,and shallots in heavy small saucepan until reduced to 3 tablespoons.
- Add cream and boil until sauce consistancy.
- Remove from heat and whisk in 2 tablespoons butter.
- Set pan over low heat and whisk in remaining butter 1 tablespoon at a time, removing pan from heat if drops of melted butter appear (if sauce breaks down at any time, remove from heat and whisk in 2 tablespoons cold butter).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste; transfer to double boiler or vacume bottle to keep warm.
- Prepare barbeque(high heat).
- Drain skewers and thread scallops onto skewers.
- Brush with melted butter; grill until opaque, turning once, 5 minutes.
- Stir minced dill and chives into sauce.
- Divide sauce among plates, top with scallops,garnish with dill sprigs and serve.