Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 mins
From Weber’s Big Book of Grilling
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot chili-garlic sauce (sriracha)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped of fresh mint
- 20 large sea scallops (about 1 1/4 lb.)
- extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- To make the sauce: cut the carrot into ¼-inch slices; add to a saucepan with 1 cup water, soy sauce, sriracha, and cumin.
- Bring to a boil; decrease heat to a simmer and cook until the carrots are just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Puree the mixture in a food processor, adding the vinegar, olive oil, and mint as the processor is running.
- The sauce should have the consistency of ketchup; if too thick, add a bit of water; if too thin, simmer a few minutes to reduce it; set aside.
- Wash the scallops and remove the small, tough, side muscle; put scallops in a bowl.
- Add enough olive oil to lightly coat; season with salt and pepper.
- Place the scallops on the grill grate 1-2 inches apart; grill over direct high heat 4-6 minutes until just opaque in the center, turn once halfway through grilling time.
- Remove from grill and serve warm with dipping sauce drizzled on top or serve sauce in small, individual dipping bowls.