Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 mins
I had never thought of trying one of my favorite Appetizer dishes (Bacon wrapped Scallops) with Proscuitto instead, I got the idea and the basic recipe frame from 'Everyday Italian' with Giada DeLorentis (Food Network) - and did some tweaking as well as adding the Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce -- WOW, it far exceeded my expectations PLUS the Proscuitto is much leaner than fatty Bacon -- Buon Appetito!
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, Freshly squeezed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon zest, Freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh oregano or 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh basil
- 12 large scallops, cleaned and dried
- 12 slices prosciutto
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard or 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard
- 1⁄4 cup honey (dark in color is healthier and has a better, richer flavor)
- 1 dash hot sauce
- Place the lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, parsley or Oregano/Basil, and black pepper in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the scallops and turn to coat thoroughly.
- Wrap each scallop with a thin slice of Proscuitto and secure with a toothpick.
- Place on a preheated grill and cook for 3 minutes (get those pretty grill marks on the scallops), basting with the olive oil mixture.
- Turn, baste with more of the olive oil mixture and continue to cook for a further 2-3 minutes & Serve immediately.
- Make Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce: Mix all ingredients well and divide into individual servings in ramekins for each person ~ dip scallops in the sauce ~ Wow, is it great!
I wish I took a picture because in this case a picture is worth a thousand words. This was such a great recipe. The marinade was perfect. It didn't overpower the sublte flavors of the scallops at all. The prosciutto wrapped around the scallops was really flavorful, too. But, the dipping sauce was not necessary at all. I had my sister over for dinner and she thought it was the best scallops she ever had. I will definitely be making this again! Thanks for the great recipe!