Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an easy and kind of unusual accompaniment to grilled meat or fish. Adapted from the Fresh! A Greenmarket Cookbook.
- 2 bunches plump scallions
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard (or 1 1/2 tsp. prepared Dijon mustard)
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons chives, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon basil, finely chopped (or tarragon or marjoram)
- 1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup corn oil
- Herb Vinaigrette:.
- Place all ingredients except oils, in a jar and shake well. Add oils and shake again. Or, place in food processor and add oil slowly with motor running to make this creamy. Set aside.
- To grill scallions:.
- Trim both ends of scallions and leave whole. Brush liberally with vinaigrette.
- Place directly on grill and barbecue 5 minutes on each side or until slightly charred and crispy.
- Serve as a side dish. Enjoy!
Very Good! I made 1 large bunch of scallions. Cooking time is on for the white of the scallions but the greens would fall through the grill. So I suggest a grill veggie pan. I did use the scallions to make Peas and Artichokes (Greece). Thanks Sharon! Oh the vinaigrette is yummy! It does make a lot so top a salad with it!.