Recipe by lazyme
From Bon Appetit, you can use either sweet or hot Italian sausages, or I've also used chicken and apple sausages for this. You can use hoagie, hero, or grinder buns. They should be about 7-inches long and 3-inches wide. Yummy!
Top Review by bmcnichol
I put the sausage, peppers and onions into a 13X9 pan and grilled it this way. I didn't add the oil, worcestshire or vinegar but it was still very tasty. It was a nice dinner that the whole family enjoyed.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 Italian sausages (about 12 ounces total)
- 2 sandwich buns
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare gill.
- In a small bowl drizzle 2 teaspoons oil over pepper rings, tossing to coat well.
- Secure each slice of onion horizontally with a wooden pick (to prevent separation into rings) and brush with remaining teaspoon oil.
- Grill peppers and onions on an oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals 3 minutes on each side, or until tender.
- (Alternatively, peppers and onions may be grilled in batches in a hot well-seasoned ridged grill pan over moderately high heat.)
- Transfer peppers and onions to a bowl, discarding wooden picks, and toss with Worcestershire sauce and vinegar.
- Prick sausages with a fork and grill, turning them, until golden and just cooked through (about 160°F on a instant-read thermometer), 10 to 15 minutes.
- Halve sausages lengthwise and rolls horizontally and grill, cut sides down, 1 minute, or until sausages are cooked through but still juicy and rolls are toasted lightly.
- Divide peppers and onions between rolls and top with sausages.