1/1 Photo of Grilled Sausage Sandwiches With Caramelized Onions and Gruyere C
We love these messy sandwiches. I like to make the caramelized onions ahead of time and then these go together quickly. These make great sandwiches for Super Bowl Sunday. From Bon Appetit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 3 smoked sausage, fully cooked, such as white bratwurst or 3 chicken-apple sausages
- 4 slices rye bread
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 ounces gruyere cheese, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 2Add onions and sauté until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in vinegar, sugar and caraway seeds.
- 4Reduce heat to medium-low and sauté until onions are deep brown and very tender, about 20 minutes longer.
- 5Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 6(Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Rewarm over low heat before using.).
- 7Preheat broiler.
- 8Brush 11x7-inch metal baking pan with oil.
- 9Place sausages in pan.
- 10Broil until sausages are brown and crisp, about 6 minutes per side.
- 11Transfer sausages to work surface and cut lengthwise in half.
- 12Arrange 3 sausage halves on each of 2 bread slices.
- 13Spread 2 teaspoons mustard over sausages on each.
- 14Top sausages with caramelized onions, dividing equally.
- 15Top with Gruyère or Emmental cheese slices, dividing equally.
- 16Cover with remaining 2 bread slices.
- 17Spread half of butter over upper bread slices.
- 18Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- 19Carefully invert sandwiches, buttered side down, into skillet.
- 20Cover and cook until bottoms are brown, about 5 minutes.
- 21Spread remaining butter over upper bread slices.
- 22Turn sandwiches, cover and cook until bottoms are brown, about 4 minutes longer.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Sausage Sandwiches With Caramelized Onions and Gruyere C
Serving Size: 1 (740 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1293.8
- Calories from Fat 758
- Total Fat 84.3 g
- Saturated Fat 35.6 g
- Cholesterol 177.5 mg
- Sodium 2394.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 29.0 g
- Protein 49.8 g