Recipe by Pellerin
Huge hit at BBQ's or entertaining friends. Don't substitute or miss the inclusion of the Franjelico! Just as simple to make for 8-12, just double the recipe.
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil or 1⁄3 cup peanut oil or 1⁄3 cup clarified butter
- 1⁄3 cup Frangelico (hazelnut liqueur)
- 3⁄4 cup hazelnuts (apx. 1/2 lb. whole or 1/3 lb. shelled, chopped roasted, AKA "Filberts")
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped shallot
- 2⁄3 cup good white wine or 2⁄3 cup very dry sherry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 -6 salmon steaks (4-6 oz. ea King or Chinook)
Directions See How It's Made
- To roast hazelnuts, spread shelled nuts in a shallow pan and roast in a 275 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until skins crack. To remove skins, rub warm hazelnuts with a rough washcloth. Chop relatively finely - to the consistence of Grape Nuts. DO NOT put them into a food processor. Combine all of the marinade ingredients and place into Zip-Lock bag, sitting in a glass 9 x 13 pan.
- The night before the party, drop your salmon steaks into the marinade. Grill 6-8 minutes on med-high J*U*S*T until opaque (6-8 minutes, depending on thickness of fish. Baste with marinate during cooking and scoop some of the nuts & lemon peel on top to garnish.